Thursday, February 7, 2008

The one with the eternal perspective.

We had quite a week last week. With the passing of our dear prophet and Emma's upcoming bastism I was an emotional wreck. I kept thinking how Emma would never forget her baptism because she shared the day with Pres. Hinckley. This was up for discussion around our house quite a bit and Sam was constantly asking questions about Pres. Hinckley, in fact the night he passed away we were all teary but Sam had a complete emotional breakdown. It was the saddest thing I have ever seen. Soooo, on friday I was a complete basketcase cleaning the house and doing other preps. for the baptism when Sam asked me if we could go the the funeral. I told him that we couldn't go but that they had a viewing for all of the people that wanted to come to Salt Lake and say good bye. Sam looked up at me and said,"oh, ok I'll just to that then." My first reaction was no way!!! I have way too much to do! And then that old sneaky eternal perspective snuck in and I thought in the grand scheme of things what is more important? SO off we went to Salt Lake with my sister Sarah and her little baby. Sam fell asleep on the way and when we pulled up you would not have believed the line! I said, " oh there is no way we can wait in that we will all freeze!" (we were not as prepared in that area as we should have been) I told my sis that we will just wake Sam up, show him the line, tell him we gave it our best shot and then head home! SOOOO, we woke him up, he looked at the line and was like "ok, I can so this, lets go!" So we parked, got in line and stood there fo 1 1/2 hours only moving 15 feet. We were all freezing especially Sarah's baby. Sam was not going to leave, "we can do this" i'm not cold" "I want to see him!" He was breaking my heart! Well we found out we had another 1 hour wait outside and 2-3 more hours inside and I hate to say it but we gave up. Sam was a good sport about it. I am thankful for Sam, he showed me that day what is really important, clean house? not so much.

5 comments:

LL said...

This made me want to cry. Sam is adorable, how impressive that a little boy his age would be so insistent on seeing the prophet. SO SWEET!
You're a good mom to set things aside and take him (especiallywith such a busy weekend for you) He will always remember going and knowing that you took him, even if he didn't get in.
Cute little guy, i love it!

Hydes said...

What a sweetheart little Sam is. Emma looked so beautiful on her special day.

Hydes said...

What a sweetheart little Sam is. Emma looked so beautiful on her special day.

Shelby said...

such a sweet story, from a tender hearted Sam!

The Shupes said...

Cute little Sam. I wish he could have seen President Hinckley, it was a really neat experience for me. I was having a hard time letting go. I was really worried about the long line thing but I went Thursday morning and was in and out within 30 minutes. I wish Sam could have come then. I am really going to miss President Hinckley, but isn't wonderful that we have another great Prophet to follow right behind. And I don't know if I told you how darling Emma's Baptism announcement was. She looks beautiful, tell her that for me. You are so good at things like that.