Wednesday, April 22, 2009

the one where i'm waxing sentimental.

Today i looked at my kitchen window and it reminded me 
of a story i read in the ensign and immediately had
ripped it out, put it in a plastic sleeve and tucked it in my night stand.
the story is called "message form a cereal bowl." march 2000.
it told the story of a mom who was in  a hurry one morning
and her little boy smeared oatmeal all over the kitchen and she lost it.
all he could say was "sorry mommy", it was this last part of the story that
has really stuck with me these past 9 years.
the mom took a moment to reflect.......

"My mind drifted to a dreamy world where the kitchen sparkled, few dishes were ever dirtied, the floor rarely needed to be swept, and cookies stayed in the jar for more than 15 minutes—where bathrooms smelled like pine forests, guest towels weren’t covered with greasy smudges, and the tub wasn’t full of assorted action figures. I pictured beds that were made, floors void of debris, and laundry that stayed in the hamper until wash day. How wonderful! Yet how sad.

No more little arms thrown around my neck or peanut butter kisses planted firmly on my mouth. No unconditional hugs despite my temper. No Dr. Seuss tongue twisters or eager anticipation as new life nudged through the soil in a paper cup. No more homemade Mother’s Day cards or valentines of red construction paper on white lace doilies. No clay toothpick holders wrapped in newspaper for Christmas. No Santa Claus, trick or treating, or the tooth fairy."


i love this and i hope you do to.

i apparently love it so much i signed up for another

5 years of window sills that will look a little like that.

 and i wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments:

The Shupes said...

Thanks Em, I needed that today. I get so mad over the dumbest things sometimes and it I'm so lucky that Charlie is so forgiving and just loves me no matter what. I am so lucky to be a mom, I just need to remember that!!

Kristi said...

it's the best part of life. really. little people make everything more fun!