Monday, July 26, 2010

(picture added for dramatic affect)

i laid in bed last night and it overtook me.
you know,
those feelings of inadequacy.
they always creep in when the lights go out.
i lay there and think about all the things i need to be doing better.
i yell too much.
i need to drink more water.
why can't water taste like diet coke?
why don't i love board games?
the kids would love me to play more games.
i used to love games.
i don't exercise enough.
my kids don't eat enough fruits and veggies.
i have weeds. lots of weeds. i hate weeds.
the kids have crap under their beds. i hate that.
my closet needs to be cleaned out. again.
on and on and on it went.
until a sweet little 6 year old called out to me. momma.
at exactly 12:34 am.
i went and got in her bed and snuggled in with her.
she wrapped her arms around my neck and whispered,
"i love you mommy."
and just for that minute,
all seemed right with the world again.


i really should have added "brow wax" to the list.
out.


6 comments:

Monica said...

I can relate so exactly.... it's just such a tug of war isn't it?? You are such a great Mom... don't listen to those little whispers!
And anyway... board games are stupid and waxed eyebrows are overrated!

LL said...

oh friend. I SO FEEL YOUR PAIN!
in fact, as I read that list I was thinking...."weird, those were my exact thoughts this weekend"
Motherhood hurts.
but board games are painful! :)

LL said...

btw. thanks for the pep talk. funny girl! it sounded SO much like one my husband would give me.
Although his words would be more like, "if you're not feeling awesome enough, try to be MORE awesome" stuff like that!
Here's the thing, I think you're as good as it gets....your kids are LUCKY!

Kristi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristi said...

(Trying again...)

You are so........... NORMAL!

There is so much STUFF to do and most of it is stuff that doesn't matter anyway. Hugs from Liza matter. Oh, and eyebrow waxing definitely matters. ;-)

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

Emily, Hey! It's Emily Clark. I found your blog via Rebekah's blog (that I found on facebook). Anyway, I really am not a blog stalker. I just wanted to say hello, let you know that I totally relate to this post, and I that I have really enjoyed reading your posts. My blog is private, but if you are interested in taking a peak or just corresponding, email me at emilycprice@gmail.com
One more thing...your family is darling! I have a Samuel too.